Tooth infection mostly arises from the infections which develop in the tooth and the bacteria in most of the cases enter the tooth in case it is chipped, broken, or decaying. Once the infection reaches inside the center of the tooth, your tooth will become infected and pus will start accumulating in the tooth. The pus inside the tooth will swell and will result in causing a toothache. In case the tooth infection is not cured there are higher chances that it gets spread to the gums and bone of the mouth. In case you have tooth abscess then it needs to be treated and you can contact your dentist as well to get the best treatment.
Besides getting assistance from the doctor, there are many home remedies that you can consider to get relieved from the discomfort caused due to the infection. Some of the home remedies which can be used along with treatments mentioned by the doctor include:
In case you are having tooth infection then you can rinse your mouth using salt water combination which is an easy and affordable option for getting temporary relief from the tooth infection. This way is also helpful in promoting and healing the gums. This saltwater rinse can be used as a remedy:
- You can combine 1/2 teaspoon of normal table salt and 1/2 cup of warm tap water.
- Now you can rinse your mouth using this saltwater. You are suggested to keep the mixture in your mouth for a few minutes so that you can feel some relief in treating tooth infection.
- Once you are done with it, spit the mixture out.
People with tooth infection are advised to repeat the same process at least two to three times each day.
You can also use baking soda which is another easily available option to treat an infected tooth. Baking soda is one of the most common ingredients found inside the kitchen which you can use to treat tooth infection. Baking soda is a wonderful ingredient used to remove plaque in the mouth and it also includes some antibacterial properties as well.
You can use this mixture to use as a remedy to cure a tooth infection:
- You can mix 1/2 tablespoon of baking soda with 1/2 cup of water along with adding a pinch of salt.
- Now swish this combination in the mouth and keep it there for at least five to seven minutes.
- After that spit out the mixture and repeat the same process until the entire mixture is finished. You are advised to repeat the same process up to two to three times a day.
Oregano essential oil
This is also considered as important oil which is easily available at a store or drugstore. Moreover, you can also buy it online. Oregano oil has antibacterial properties and antioxidant properties and helps reduce the discomfort which you are experiencing due to an abscessed tooth. You are advised to dilute the essential oil with a carrier oil so that the irritation can be avoided. To make this remedy you need to follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Take a few drops of this oil and mix it with a carrier oil.
- Apply some drops of this combination on a cotton ball.
- Now place this ball on the infected area and hold the same for at least two to three minutes.
- After that remove the ball or swab and you are advised to leave the mixture on for a minimum for 10 minutes before rinsing it with clean water.
- Now repeat the same process for a minimum of two times per day.
People having tooth infection can use cold compress which will help reduce the pain and swelling. You are suggested to keep ice cubes in a dry towel and hold the compress against your skin that has infected tooth. The compress can be used for 10-minute intervals and the same process can be repeated many times per day.
Since Fenugreek has antibacterial properties so it can be used to cure the infection in your tooth. Fenugreek has is popularly used as a home remedy for healing wounds and reducing inflammation. You can make a fenugreek tea by bringing 1 cup of water to boiling and then you can stir in 1 teaspoon of ground fenugreek in the mixture. Let the mixture cool and after that apply a small portion of the mixture on the affected area with the help of a cotton ball. Repeat the same method for at least three-four times in a day to feel some relief in your pain.
Clove essential oil
This oil is being used past so many years by many people as a natural toothache method. Since it has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties so is perfect to use on the infected tooth. Clove essential oil comes in a variety of forms; you can easily get it in the diluted forms and the concentrated clove essential oil form as well. In case you are using the essential oil form, then you are advised to dilute it (mix at least 3 to 5 drops of essential oil in an ounce of carrier oil) and use this remedy which can be applied in many ways. You can apply the diluted oil on the affected area by placing a few drops on a cotton ball or swab.
Thyme essential oil
This is another important oil that is used to kill parasites, fight bacteria, and lower the swelling as well. This kind of oil is widely available in the market, you must dilute the thyme oil before applying it on the affected area using a cotton ball or swab. Thyme essential oil can also be used to make a mouthwash; all you need to do is to add a few drops of diluted thyme oil to a smaller glass of water and use it as a mouthwash to get some relief in your tooth pain. Also antibiotics will cure tooth infection.
In case you have tooth infection then your dentist will advise one of the following treatments which completely depends upon how serious your tooth infection is:
- In case you have a simple abscess, then your dentist will ask you to get an endodontist done, a root canal will help you to get rid of the infection and will give you some relief in your trouble as well.
- If the infection is large, then it needs to be drained first before doing the root canal. Your dentist will make a small cut inside your gum so that the pus can be drained out and then clean the area with saline water.
- Once the tooth is sealed back up, the dentist will then put the cap or crown to give a top and protected layer to your tooth.
- In case it becomes difficult to save your tooth then your dentist might pull the tooth out and after that will drain the abscess to get rid of the infection.
- You will be given a few antibiotics as well so that eh infection doesn’t spread to other teeth. Sometimes the lack of timely tooth treatment can result in spreading the infection to other parts of the body as well.
- By following good dental habits, you can keep your teeth and gums healthy for a longer period
- You are advised to brush your teeth using fluoride toothpaste at least twice a day for a minimum of 2 minutes each time.
- You are suggested not to rinse your mouth using mouthwash or water immediately after brushing your teeth as it will take away the protective toothpaste off your teeth.
- You must lower the intake of sugary and starchy drinks and foods especially while going to the bed.
- Pay your dentist a regular visit so that he/she can do regular checkups.
When you must visit the doctor
An infected tooth is a challenging infection which in case left untreated can affect the other parts of the face and eyes as well and will make the condition more troubling for you. In case you have an infection in your tooth then you are advised to talk to your doctor or a dentist at the earliest. The home remedies mentioned above are complementary treatments that you can take with the treatment mentioned by a doctor. You are advised to take immediate antibiotics and dental care as well to get relief in your pain.
A tooth infection will not go away without treatment and you need proper treatment to feel relief in the tooth pain. If the abscess ruptures, the pain no doubt will decrease significantly but you still need the nest dental treatment so that the infection doesn’t get spread to your jaw and other areas thus making the situation more troubling. In case you have a weakened immune system and in case you are leaving your tooth untreated, then there are higher chances that the infection might spread to other teeth as well.
You must get in touch with your dentist promptly in case you have any signs or symptoms of a tooth abscess.